IN ST. LUCY
Events for April 2020
Events Search and Views Navigation
Calendar of Events
DISCLAIMER: Please note that the schedule and events listed are subject to change and will have additions.
Information provided are just guidelines for some events and to help keep you informed.
- Lucy is known for being the only parish of Barbados out of the eleven parishes that is named after a female patron saint, Saint Lucy of Syracuse.
- The parish is the only one that is a peninsula, surrounded on three sides by the Atlantic Ocean to the north, east and west.
- In 1629, shortly after Barbados was established as a colony, the island was divided into six parishes. Lucy was in that first grouping of parishes established by Sir William Tufton, the then Governor of Barbados. The other parishes were St. James, St. Peter, St. Thomas, St. Michael and Christ Church. St. Lucy Parish Church one of the original 6 parish churches
- Crab Hill was so named because large numbers of crabs would appear in the area during rainfall; people would catch the crabs and keep them as pets
- Pie Corner was named in memory of the Great Fire of London in 1666 which started in Farryners Bakery in Pudding Lane and was stopped at Pie Corner after a line of houses were blown up with gunpowder as a fire break. 89 churches and 13,000 dwellings covering 373 acres were destroyed.
- Well Road was named because of the numerous wells that were dug to raise water to the surface and for drainage as well.
- Half Moon Fort was so called because the cannons located at the fort were positioned in the shape of a half moon.
- Maycock was named after Captain Thomas Maycock owner of the Maycock’s Fort located at Maycock’s Bay. Maycock’s Bay is where Sharks often visit along the West Coast
- Gay village was named after Sir John Gay Alleyne who was Speaker of the House of Legislature, 1760- 1770 and 1772- 1779. He was appointed to manage the plantation in 1787.
- Crab Hill # 2 was once known as Boar Hog Alley. The name was given by the villagers since pig farmers from all over the parish and some parts of the island brought their sows to the district to be served by a boar hog owned by a villager Mr. Carrington. The villagers named the boar “Cara Boar Hog” after its owner Mr. Carrington and the street “Boar Hog Alley”.
- Lamberts village is best known for the experimental wind tower that was supposed to become part of a larger wind farm built in the 1980’s by the Government of Barbados.
- It is believed that rum was being produced on the Mount Gay Rum Estate from as early as 1663. However, the first surviving written evidence is a legal deed dated 20th February 1703 making Mount Gay Rum the oldest rum in Barbados, and more importantly, the world.
- The Hope Bridge is said to be built of rubble (broken stones) and eggs. The eggs acted as the bonding agent.
- River Bay is an expansive cove like area with river pools dotted over what can only be described as a very rocky part of the island
- Chandler Bay was the location of one of the early Arawak settlements, the other settlements in the parish included Stroud Point located at Stroud Bay.
- Stroud Bay was not only a fishing village Stroud Bay but as the bay that Dr. Alain Bumbard sailed into from England across the Atlantic Ocean in an inflatable boat. On October 19, 1952 he started out on his journey and reached Barbados December 23, 1952. He theorized that a human being could very well survive the trip across the ocean without provisions and decided to test his theory himself in order to save thousands of lives of people lost
- The first St Lucy Parish Church was erected in 1627 and was destroyed by the hurricane in the year 1629. The second was rebuilt church in 1741 and was destroyed by hurricane in 1780. The third church too was completely ravaged by the great hurricane of 1831. The present church was constructed in 1837 and has a seating capacity of 750 persons. Incidentally, although the Church was destroyed several times by hurricanes, the baptismal font managed to survive through them all.
- The Parry School which was founded in 1880 and recognized by the local government in December 1881 as a secondary grammar school for boys. The school once occupied lands on the North Western side of the St. Lucy Parish Church and was named after the second Anglican Bishop of Barbados Thomas Parry. In January 1952 it was amalgamated with the Coleridge school to become what is now known as the Coleridge and Parry School.
- The parish is home to the Island’s first utility-scale solar farm. The Barbados Light & Power (PL&P) 10 megawatts (MW) solar photovoltaic farm is located in Trents, and consists of approximately 44,500 solar panels occupying 42 acres of land.
- Harrisons Point is home to the island’s youngest Light House which was built in 1925. It stands eight-five feet high. The United States Naval Base in operation 1st October 1957 – 31st March 1979 was also located there.
- The parish’s first and only hotel, the North Point Surf Resort along with the island’s first Olympic size swimming pool was located at North Point.
- The parish is also home to the island’s only accessible sea cave, the Animal Flower Cave. The Cave was discovered in 1780.
- Six Men’s Bay just off the shore in 60 ft of water rests 165 ft long wreck of a sunken freighter named Pamir a spot for Scuba-Diving